Friday, May 8, 2009

Pictures

While I enjoy posting pictures to our flickr account, I want to continue to post them on here, too. I will be a bit more choosy on here than on there, but nevertheless, I think it's fun to include bits of stories in with the pictures.

Justin and I are both reading a book called "Storm Tactics" by Lin and Larry Pardey. While I hope we're never caught out in a storm, it's still essential to know what to do in case of extreme winds, and so we're reading and enjoying the book. I highly recommend it thus far.

Boat projects have slowed down considerably, which also means we're finally spending less on the boat and saving more. It is a grand feeling.

Some projects that we've done in recent months:

1. Lazy jacks installed.
2. Icebox has been converted into a fridge/freezer. This was especially exciting because we got rid of all refridgeration sometime in the winter (Dec, Jan, Feb...I don't remember). At the time I was excited that we were without, but I am now very thrilled that we're able to stock up more, waste less, and have things cold. The most thrilling thing is that this is technically only a fridge, but the way Justin set things up keeps everything freezing to the point where we have to be careful what we set next to the coldest part. NICE.

3. We acquired some batteries and Justin set these up with a battery monitor. These will stay charged a mighty long time.

4. We fixed some of the sail hardware (or I should say, upgraded to the correct size blocks).

5. Our jib had a tear in it from last summer that I fixed on the sewing machine. The boat is now sail-able, and we've done just that! It was a success for sure.


That's all for now.

-Jenny

4 comments:

  1. Great to find a fellow liveaboard's blog. Drop me a line if you sail a little further south.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey how about some more info on the fridge... what brand.. what size box doya's have, how he made it and maybe some pic's... I need to get the 120 volt ac fridge off my boat debating about insulating my icebox and douing the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deryk,

    The fridge is a norcold bought off of defender. Justin sprayed the outside of the icebox with that foam in a can stuff. Installation went pretty smoothly considering it was a boat project, but this is coming from Jenny...and I definitely didn't install it. I'll post some pictures and get more info from Justin for you. Our icebox is a good size and the norcold wasn't supposed to freeze anything, but we only have it turned up to 3 (out of 5 or 6) and the way we have the plate situated in the box, we are able to keep things frozen. We even had ice cream for a few days!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny,

    Well it looks likes its working fine, and nice being able to keep ice cream aboard. Im gonna have to get hopping and start working on mine. I would appreciate the pics and any info thta justin experienced... granted I need a few more batteries, but would be nice to go out for the night on the boat and not have a wet fridge from everything melting lol.

    thanks
    deryk

    ReplyDelete